From Expert to Rock Star: Video 3

And here is our third video: Did you see the previous one? Link Below!

Click Here for the previous Video – if you haven’t seen it yet!

The Infosec Rock Star Workshop I mention is no longer available – it’s already started and we are having fun and learning a lot (me too, I always learn from my students).

13 Responses to “From Expert to Rock Star: Video 3”

1. Carlos says:

Very interesting – and interested in what you’ll be coming up with. When can we expect details?

Hi Carlos,
      Literally home minutes from Abu Dhabi and a wee bit jetlagged!
      Flying to Georgia Sunday and I’ll have more details early/mid week at the latest.

My priority now is seeing my parents and kids!

2. Eric Cole says:

Ted is the ultimate RockStar and a really good friend/colleague. He understands what it takes to be successful and is willing to share the information with others.

It is a pleasure to be mentioned in his videos and to know Ted as a close friend. Cannot emphasis enough, the trick is to Love What You Do and Have Fun….

3. Doc Blackburn says:

I believe in this man’s message. 🙂 Be a Rock Star!

4. Mary says:

Hi Ted,

I have a question. I’m not even at the Expert level, although I am building that knowledge naturally (as you say!) and your videos have been extremely helpful!

My friends (some of whom have seen your videos) insist I have some Rock Star qualities already. Is it possible to be not quick at the Expert Level and yet still have some Rock Star qualities?

Thanks! One of your groupies 🙂

Hi Mary,

Absolutely possible! You can be at a lower level in Survive->Stable->Expert->Authority->Rock Star and have some skills at a much higher level.

For example I have one friend who bounces between Survive and Stable and has his entire life (and will continue to due to his mindset: he thinks he can’t do any better, so he can’t!). He is a Rock Star communicator – his writing and speaking skills, including public speaking, are exemplary.

Thanks for the question, and flattered to have “groupies” 🙂 We can all use more friends!

5. Raj says:

What you you tell us about the upcoming training? Online/offline/timing etc?

I know the details are coming but an idea of what is to come would be great. I think it’s online Webcasts but not sure?

Raj

Raj,

Tentative plans are for a small online class taught as 5 Webinars, starting around 8PM at night, starting early April, answering everyone’s questions and recording the Webinars for those who can’t make them all (it’s a global world with lots of time zones!).

Lots of interactivity, both before/during/after class, to make sure I answer everyone’s questions and cover the most valuable topics well.

In Georgia teaching a SANS SEC401 bootcamp this week, but will get more details to you this week!

6. Grant says:

Ted,
    I writing something on infosec I want to release fairly soon, not quite as long and intensive as your “Infosec Rock Star v2” but hopefully very valuable many in security.

What are the pros and cons of releasing it entirely for free or in exchange for an email?

Grant,

Great question and one that we could talk about in depth, enormous depth, and yes, I’ve done both as well as a hybrid model.

Most importantly, it doesn’t matter as much as creating it and putting it out there so do it!

If you do not require an email signup, you will get far more people to download it although a smaller percentage may actually read it. Even with books people pay for, only a small percentage get partially read, never mind totally read. A totally free book or other resource (no email required) isn’t seen as “valuable” by many people, although it will get downloaded and spread the farthest.

If you require an email, fewer people will access it for sure, but you will have emails for further interaction. For example I’ve used the email addresses I’ve gathered to send people a quick survey for feedback (and you answered it if I recall) as well as for feedback on a few articles I’ve written.

Suggestion: Unless you have a specific need for email addresses, just release it for entirely free, no email address required (all other things being equal, and they often aren’t).

With a hybrid model, which works well, you can do something like I did with my CISSP Study Guide & Acronyms List ( http://securitycerts.org/review/cissp-acronyms.htm ) – I have a version online anyone can read, and in addition, for the price of an email address, you can get a nicely formatted downloadable PDF copy.

More important than how you release it, once again, is that you finish and release it somehow!

7. Pat says:

I was in one of your online SANS classes (the CISSP class) and it was great although the 3+ hour format at night was tough for me. After a long day it’s hard to concentrate, and I made liberal use of the recordings!

Will the sessions be as long for InfosecRockStar Blueprint?
    Pat
    PS: Passed the CISSP no problems!

Hi Pat,

Expecting the sessions to be one hour to at most 2 hours long – aiming closer to one hour average.
      I fall asleep during classes myself when a student, both live and online. Can be the most fascinating subject and teacher, but I do doze off 🙂

There will be recordings too as well as the “easier to concentrate” shorter format

8. Kay says:

The talk you gave in San Antonio last summer was very inspiring, actually amazing, and going to watch the videos during lunch!