Moving towards Infosec Rock Star Status: Video 1

Video One: Please leave a comment below, ask a question, or just say “Hello” if you’d like! Next video is in a very few days.

Click Here for Video 2, Rapid Expert Status Legitimately and Ethically

If you haven’t already, Click Here to Download the Infosec Rock Star v3 PDF

25 Responses to “Moving towards Infosec Rock Star Status: Video 1”

1. Rudy says:

Ted, you have a habit of telling me things I wish I knew 10 or more years ago ๐Ÿ™‚

Wow, awesome job – and that extra unexplained chip on the motherboard sounds extremely ominous … Could be a “not well” documented engineering change, but I doubt it. Pretty sure I know the manufacturer based on the little info you gave too.

Great job on the video – waiting with baited breathe for the next one!

2. Ted Demopoulos says:

Rudy, I have a habit of learning things I wish I knew 5, 10, 20 and more years ago! ๐Ÿ™‚

Sometimes the very valuable things we learn seem obviously in hindsight.

Or as Alan Weiss says, “I canโ€™t believe how stupid I was two weeks ago,” and sometimes, I can’t!

Thanks for the kind words

3. Ted, to those about to rock, I salute you. Great videos and always enjoy listening and learning from you. I always pickup new tips and tricks. In terms of your closing remarks, I completely agree that you have to continuously push yourself and get out of your comfort zone. Do not be afraid to try new things. If you never fail, you never live. However fail quickly, learn, do not repeat mistakes and use all lessons as an opportunity to grow. Let’s try new things this year. Change is good and as one of the true rock stars Motley Crรผe just finished their last tour, always remember: “All Bad Things Must Come to and End”. Ted, thank you for being awesome!

4. Ted Demopoulos says:

Thanks Eric – look forward to catching up with you later this week! Your kind words and inspiration are *always* appreciated.

Addendum: I just ran 10K in your honor ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Mary L says:

“Hello” and thanks!

6. Tom Robey says:

Ted, thanks for continually posting helpful and inspiring resources. That alone makes you Rock Star status to me!

7. Fred says:

Hi Ted,

I sat in your Advanced Security Essentials class in Baltimore, and your SANS@Night “Infosec Rock Star” talk – not only educational and entertaining, but also it has SIGNIFICANTLY fueled my career! Changed my mindset, and changed results!

8. Susan says:

Thanks!

9. Pierre Noel says:

Ted,

I don’t know if I am a rock star, I certainly don’t see it on my daily activities, but I absolutely enjoy every single day of my work. I love what I do, I have a big smile most of the time, and I know I bring value to my company, as well as to our customers.

My formula, is to elevate the InfoSec message. Understanding technology is cool, but being able to talk business to business people, and let them know the business impacts associated with InfoSec issues, is what really makes a difference.

I am regularly dealing with board of directors of the biggest and brightest companies in Asia, or with ministers or president of countries. They don’t listen to me because of my silly French accent, they listen because I speak their language. I know that if I ever let one techno-lingo word escape my mouth, they will feel lost, and will tell me to speak to their security people – last thing I would want to do: most security people are not able to communicate effectively to senior management, and security is seen as wizardry in these companies.

My trick: I probably spend an equal amount of time reading about cybersecurity, as reading about economy, geo political issues, and talking to people who master these concepts. When I speak to a CEO, I talk about vision, about business strategy, about potential impacts, likelihood. I don’t talk about security per se, I resonate with them. That’s what makes it “different”.

But, enough about me.

Ted, I have known you for nearly 30 years – yes, that long – and I am not sure I have ever shared with you how much of a mentor you have been to me. I would probably not be where I am right not if I had not known you, and I want everyone to know what formidable knowledge, wisdom and FUN you bring around you.

I am immensely proud to have you as a mentor, and as a friend.

Pierre

Pierre,

Thanks – I don’t think I can add much to what you just said, other than to add that I have learned and am still learning a lot from you!
      Ted

10. Jon Smith says:

I love the Infosec Rock Star examples you give – how do you decide who to feature?

Jon, it’s tough – there are too many potential Rock Stars to feature. Mentally I go back and forth between wanting to use truly super well known Infosec Rock Stars, who’s feats may seem almost super human and unachievable to most, to less well known people who have done phenomenally well recently, where a lot of us may think “hey, they are not much different from us,” to just about everything/everyone in between. Open to suggestions for sure!

11. Sylvain Audet says:

The comment about needing to get out of our comfort zone… this is so true, and often scary too. But you are right that this is how you can grow and become bigger and better.

Hi Sylvain,

Yes so true, and scary at times. This applies to so many areas in life as well.

For example, I’ve been working on getting in better shape. I’m certainly no runner (my legs are short, my body is wide, and I am way too muscular!), but I pushed myself to recently run a half marathon. Way out of my comfort zone – even just showing up for the event, not quite knowing how to dress, what to expect, how to interact with the “real runners” as I thought of them, was a bit scary.

And I remember when Stephen Northcutt et. al. at The SANS Institute got me to teach my first management and leadership class, “Management 512: SANS Security Leadership Essentials For Managers,” it was scary especially for someone who always thought of themselves as a pure geek. It helped a bit as they patiently explained that I had obviously done everything discussed in the class in various startups and other companies, but it was still scary.

Now this “out of our comfort zone” is purely mental and very doable for us. It’s not like we are attempting to climb Mount Everest or battle a Saber Tooth Tiger – where there is real danger and scary takes on a very different dimension ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Awesome work here Ted! I am going to have to shed my hard shell and take another step out of my comfort zone!
    Doc…

Doc,
      Stepping out of your comfort zone could be trying an IPA instead of a Coors Light ๐Ÿ™‚

More seriously though, although we are not as in close touch the last few months, I know you have been kicking butt and doing great things!

Lots of people appreciate and are benefiting from the work you are doing.

13. Ted,

Your ongoing research always inspires me to continue my intentional growth journey. I give you my heartfelt gratitude for this work.

PS – Congrats on your 10K.

Thanks Russell,
      We may be featuring you as a Rock Star sometime soon !

Today I skied in torrential downpours with my son and his friend, think “Beavis and Butthead” ๐Ÿ™‚ Not quite a 10K, but good exercise and fun until I was totally soaked …

14. Munish Verma says:

Hi Ted

Thanks for a very inspirational video (which I perhaps need the most) to make my next career move.

While I do want to move into Infosec, and got some basic certifications as well – I truly hope that these videos will help me make the right move.

Thanks again

15. Hey Ted,
    When I first met you this was just a crazy idea. Over time, I have watched this idea take root, grow, and blossom. You are doing it!! What an inspiration! Rock stars won’t tell you that it takes years of hard work to become an overnight sensation. I know that this material is the result of continuous refinement and lots of attention to detail, so congrats again and thanks for letting me participate in the program from the beginning.
    –Ken

Ken,
      It’s great having you along for the ride!
      It WAS a crazy idea in the beginning, and it was molded and shaped and enormously improved with lots of input and help form people like you
      Thanks,
      Ted
      PS: And we have a long way to go. We’re in a dynamic field is a rapidly changing world!