Rapid Expert Status, Quickly & Legitimately: Video 2

Video Two: Please leave a comment below. Next video is in a very few days!

Haven’t seen Video 1 yet? Click Here -> Video 1
And Video 3 is next:  Click Here -> Video 3

15 Responses to “Rapid Expert Status, Quickly & Legitimately: Video 2”

1. Rodney H says:

Ted – love the idea of interviews! I’ve been at the same company for 20 years (you know where), and recently, I started an “unofficial” internal program where I interview people doing cool things in the company. They range from very new and often young’uns to grizzled company veterans – you might call them up and coming as well as established Rock Stars. It’s primarily audio and now doing some simple video as well.
    Anyways, it’s a MASSIVE hit! Everyone loves it, and some people I idolize in the company are actually coming to me now and volunteering, people I’ll admit I was definitely scared to approach because I’m in awe of them and their achievements.
    Quick question for you – how are you doing your videos? They just seem so natural!

Hi Rodney,
      That’s awesome! Yeah, interviews are easy and no writing is involved or necessary either. I’m sure it’s boosting your Rock Star status internally too!

My video is shockingly basic and slowly improving, I hope.
      The live footage, believe it or not, is shot with an iPhone – with either a selfie stick or a cheap (like sub $30) tripod from Amazon. For screencapture video, as well as all editing, I’m using Camtasia. Camtasia is somewhat expensive at about $300 on Windows but awesome, and you can also get a 30 day free trial. I got the free trial and wasn’t planning on buying but did; it is pretty amazing and easy to use.
      Next up, to improve the videos, I have a clip on microphone arriving for the live footage. I also need to learn a bit more about lighting as I know very little. For the screencapture I’m using a maybe $40 Logitech Headset with built in microphone. Hosting is “unlisted” videos on YouTube and looking at Wistia in the future so I have more control.
      Glad you like the videos – not remotely “pro” quality but they do the job.

2. April Lawson says:

Nice work, Ted.

I’ve been toying with the idea of speaking to lawyers about the benefits of being able to do computer forensics “by hand”, supplemental to software. (To show that software search criteria did not bias results)

I’ve been afraid of public speaking, but this video has given me some new thoughts on how to approach speaking to local lawyers.

My question is do you think it’s inappropriate to approach a lawyer I”m acquainted with through church AFTER church and mention my willingness to address his peers on that subject at one of their monthly lunches?

I am trying to increase my business in this community and I’ve been told repeatedly that software is sufficient. I would like to show the lawyers why it would help to have someone like me testify in court cases. (Preferably me!)

Thank you for the videos and email efforts. You are really encouraging and helpful.

Thanks April!
      Yes, that seems totally reasonable.
      They may direct you to whoever is in charge of the lunches, or want to talk later, or nearly jump and up and down with joy (I’ve had all three happen in similar circumstances) at having a volunteer!

And worse case, they might merely be disinterested for whatever reason, although groups similar to this very very often are looking for speakers.

3. Carlos Ortiz says:

Great video Ted. Your suggestions suggest that going the extra mile, and then going the extra mile again and again, is key for InfoSec backup singers that want to jump to lead-mic. Many times its hard to know what those extra miles are but your video is full of great ideas, many of which I never honestly thought of. You have definitely motivated me to take the steps that will help me move toward the lead.

Hi Carlos!
      Greet meeting you in Dallas. I tried to present lots of options – there are so many choices and obviously you can only do a small fraction. That’s all you need too.

One thing I didn’t mention is that you can sometimes piggyback on tasks you already have, for example meetings. Most of us spend time, maybe too much time, in meetings. I’ve volunteered before to take the notes/minutes of meetings and distribute them. It usually doesn’t involve that much work, and although you might argue that any “authoring” is minimal it does give you quite a bit of power to “author” the notes/meetings and people generally respect that. It also makes you pay close attention, not a bad thing, and you ARE an expert of what was discussed at the meeting.

Also, if your group needs to present anything at a meeting, you can volunteer to do it. In one consulting project recently, we collaboratively put together some slides to present to the larger group, and although I was happy to present, I was shocked that no one else wanted to and saw the benefit of it. Just giving the 10 minute presentation would have given some expert status to anyone that did it!

4. Lex says:

Enjoying the videos – I saw you present live in Houston a while back, but didn’t get a chance to say hello. Lots of actionable content. I’m watching again and taking notes!

Lex, I’m in Houston again in a few months, the 2nd week in May from memory (it’ll be on the SANS Web site if it isn’t already).

If you are there, say hi this time! In Dallas A few weeks back I had a great time meeting people, both at the conference and locals who stopped by for a beer or coffee.

5. Mary says:

This your quote below that has moved to me action and towards expanding my comfort zone – I just volunteered to run the next monthly department meeting and take minutes!
    It’ll definitely give me more visibility, and some morewriting and speaking experience.

“Now this “out of our comfort zone” is purely mental and very doable for us. It’s not like we are attempting to climb Mount Everest or battle a Saber Tooth Tiger – where there is real danger and scary takes on a very different dimension :)”

6. Bob G says:

We have “lunch and learns” every month at work, and I always strenuously avoided speaking at them as I was always afraid of speaking. A little over a year ago, a colleague on my team was to speak at the lunch and learn and got sick. I was “volunteered” to give his talk by the bosses boss!

I was nervous and apprehensive for certain, however the talk went well and my nervousness went away. I am now getting ready for my 5th talk at our lunch and learns!

It’s amazing how much more recognition, and respect which seems to naturally follow, I have within my department AND the company. I’m also up for a promotion on my next review cycle. This isn’t necessarily entirely because of my speaking at lunch and learns, but management has mentioned it as a positive factor!

Good going Bob! An awesome story – yup, speaking, even to friendly local audiences of people you know, works!

7. Joe Eckhout says:

My two cents on the introvert question. Many technical people think they are introverted. Many of us have chosen jobs that require little human interaction because we like our quiet and introspective time to focus on problems. There is no problem with that. The problem comes in when we have to turn off our self-time, then communicate and work with others. We can only do so much of our work in quiet solitude. We have to make a choice to communicate and work with others. That key word is “choice”. You can choose to be less introverted and to communicate more, learn to be more social, and improve your status as a rock star. You can ease into this. Join your local ISSA or (ISC)2 chapter. Volunteer to present at chapter meetings, teach a security class and learn to work the room at social events. When talking to people, use their first name several times to help you remember them and subconsciously build their trust. Pretty soon you will find you are not quite as introverted as you thought.

Joe,
      Many excellent points.
      Yes, absolutely, many of us choose to think of ourselves and describe ourselves as introverted – and it’s not necessary true!
      I have never thought about it this way, but now that you mention it, yes, it’s obvious.
      And we have absolutely some control, sometimes perhaps a lot, over our degree of introversion or extroversion.

You have a knack for explaining and wording things in ways that sometimes astound me – after all, “Geek will only get you so far” is your saying!

8. Robert B. says:

Ted,
    Thank you for sharing! I come from the dark side – from the business side and try get more recognition among the geeks ;o) in security areas that interest me. I really appreciate your emphasis on speaking the business language … the end users, even the highly educated make mistakes because they do not understand IT and information security … fair amount of patient explaining helps … just like in your videos – Thank you!

Robert,
      Thanks for your comments!
      I like how you use the term “dark side” as often that is how things are perceived, as there being two sides. I’m doing my best to change that! It’s happening, slowly but surely. It has to.

Of course we are all on the same side, whether we realize it or not!

A course I teach for SANS (SANS Security Leadership Essentials For Managers, Management 512) often has a lot of business people in it, often very new to technology and security. The perspectives, very often radically different among attendees, are fascinating.

And yes, “fair amount of patient explaining helps” – all around.