Infosec Rock Star:  Part 2: Achieving Expert Status Quickly (Video 2)

We love your feedback and welcome your comments. Please post below:

12 responses to “(older) Part 2: Achieving Expert Status Quickly”

1. Ted Demopoulos says:

Hey Bobby,
    Your story is not that uncommon – thank you for sharing and putting in words better than I can!

It’s all simple – it’s not necessarily as easy as getting a coffee or popping a beer and watching TV, but it’s not hard once you know what to do and how to do it.

Good luck going forward and stay in touch

2. Ted Demopoulos says:

That’s awesome Willie!
    I’m hoping to turn my 12 year old daughter into my video person – she seems interested, and although my live video has improved it’s got a way to go. I’m getting lots of “polite” advice 🙂 Especially on lighting!
    Thanks for your kind words!

3. Ted Demopoulos says:

Very funny Pete/”Lex” – I will be back for sure and look forward to seeing you then!

4. Bob Nesmith says:

I never thought about building skills and confidence on speaking by speaking on a hobby – I know the perfect talk and venue. Thanks!

Hi Bob,
      As we say in the video, a speaker is automatically considered an expert, but many of us are terrified of speaking on Infosec. Lots of people are perfectly comfortable talking on other topics, perhaps a hobby, and can build confidence and “work up” to Infosec. Glad it’s helpful

5. Maura says:

A lot of great tips – I can’t believe how much content you for in to a short period of time!
    I can use some of these ideas immediately!

Hey Maura,
      I’ve spend a lot of time refining these techniques with the help of the Infosec Rock Star Community – not all mine ideas by any means! Glad you’ve found them useful!

6. Raj says:

I’ve put once of your suggestions to use already Ted. I took an annoying repetitive technical task, something that usually goes smoothly on our database servers but occasionally has glitches, and documented it, including fixes for any of the glitches that occasionally occur, and ways to avoid even having them most of the time. It took about 1 1/2 hours and will save people endless time going forwards. It’s been less than a day and already over a dozen people have gone out of their way to thank me, including the bosses boss! This stuff just works!

Moving towards Rock Star Status!

Congrats Raj! That is an excellent technique for building your Expert Status! I’ll bet many people could have done it, but you took the initiative and are getting the deserved credit!

7. Pat Nelson says:

Took your advice and joined Toastmasters – great group and making progress very quickly

8. Mary Smith says:

I never thought about what an “Expert” really was until I was introduced to you – it all makes sense. It was a bit of a stretch until I was comfortable with being called an “Expert” – but you say, you need to step a little out of your comfort zone!

Mary,
      Once we get past the “An Expert Must Know Everything” it gets easier! NO ONE knows everything, not even the #1 expert in the universe on any topic!